Zoning FAQ

What is the Comprehensive Plan?

The Comprehensive Plan is a plan designed by the city to accommodate the city’s expansion and development. It helps to implement quality control and maintain a comfortable standard of living. Part of the plan is to establish Zoning regulations in order to plan for the continued development of the land in Waverly.


What is Zoning?

Zoning is what decides the layout of the city. It plots areas of land and what they can be used for. Not only does this prevent industrial centers from being in the middle of neighborhoods, but helps the city when predicting things like traffic, road construction, and plumbing. It also helps the city decide where to put public facilities like schools and parks.


How does a property owner find out what use types are allowed on their property, in their zoning?

To find out what is allowed in your zone, you can contact the city office and talk to the Zoning Administrator or visit Zoning Regulations and browse the city’s Land Development Ordinance.


What if the use type is not allowed?

If you have a unique property that you believe is preventing you from doing something you feel is allowed within your zone, you can submit a Variance Request From and meet with the Board of Adjustments.

If you want to change your zone type, you can review the Amendment Procedure in Chapter 12, article 11.1204 of the Zoning Regulations

I think my neighbor is violating his zoning rules. How do I make a complaint?

If you wish to make a complaint, please fill out our Complaint Form Blank.

What can I do if my neighbor is trying to change the zoning on his/her property and I don’t like his/ plans?

First, you can contact the applicant directly to discuss your concerns. You have the right to comment on any application filed. You can comment in person by testifying at the official public hearing or in writing or by fax or e-mail prior to the hearing.


Where can I get a map showing the area around the property I am interested in purchasing.

There are several maps available on the Maps page under Zoning Regulations. Make sure to try out the Lancaster County GIS for detailed property maps.