Waverly Nebraska History


A history of Waverly. Did you know?

  • In 1870 the railroad came through the area and completed to Steven’s Creek, bringing businesses to the area.
  • The town was surveyed and plotted in October of 1870.
  • The towns name was taken from Sir Walter Scott’s “Waverley” and the city streets get their names from characters in the book.
  • Throughout the 1870s, a General Store, the depot, a blacksmith, a grain elevator, a lumber yard, a hotel, and many homes were all constructed.
  • Waverly became a village in 1885.
  • The congressional church was built in 1878 followed by the Lutheran church in 1880 and the Methodist church in 1882.
  • In 1887 a new two story school was built.
  • The school system continued to grow with the consolidation of surrounding school districts.
  • A new elementary school and high school were built in 1921.
  • Through the 1920s, several agricultural organizations came together within the community.
  • Many people working in Lincoln have come to live in Waverly.
  • In 1960 an addition was added to the school.  In 1966 the Eagle, Alvo, and Walton schools merged with Waverly.
  • From 1967 through 1970, more classrooms were added to accomodate the larger number of students.